Various studies are being conducted in the Learning Research and Development Center at the University of Pittsburgh. These studies will help us better understand the neural bases for cognitive abilities including memory, language, and perception.
Please read the below FAQ's before registering.
- How much can I earn for behavioral sessions? Earn up to $10/hour for completing behavioral sessions.
- What takes place during behavioral sessions? Subjects will be viewing images, words, and/or videos presented on a computer screen and make decisions about these items.
- How much can I earn for physiological sessions? Subjects can earn $15/hour for physiological sessions.
- What takes place during a physiological session? Researchers will record your facial muscle activity, heart rate, and respiration.
- How much can I earn for fMRI sessions? Subjects can earn $25/hour for fMRI sessions.
- Are there any special requirements to participate in fMRI studies? fMRI participants should be right-handed and NOT have any metal in or on your body that cannot be removed (tooth fillings do not matter; permanent orthodontic devices and body piercing may be problematic, if they cannot be removed).
- Are fMRI sessions safe? fMRI scans are generally very safe and simply involve lying in an fMRI scanner. However, prior to your participation in an fMRI study, we need to ask you some background questions that will allow us to determine which studies you will be an appropriate subject for, and will help us assure your safety and comfort.
Who is eligible to participate? Native English speakers and non-colorblind participants between 18-30 years old. You must have a valid local university e-mail address to register (pitt.edu, cmu.edu, upmc.edu, etc). Accounts are subject to approval. If you do not register with a valid local university email account, your account will not be approved and you will be asked to register again.
- How do I become eligible to participate? Follow the link below to register.
- I've registered for your website, now what? Login below and view studies you are eligible to participate in.
- I've signed up for an experiment, now what? Please take note of the date, time, and room location for the experiment that you signed up for. Subjects should report to the 6th floor of the Learning Research and Development Center (LRDC) on the University of Pittsburgh's main campus, located at 3939 O'Hara Street. Please report to the specific room number mentioned when you signed up for the study; if there is any confusion about where to go, please contact the researcher for the specific study you signed up for.
- Anything else I should know? Your potential participation in our subject pool and studies is voluntary, and you are allowed to withdraw at any time. Your current and future status with the University will remain the same whether you participate in or not.
- I still have questions, who can I contact? For specific questions regarding a listed experiment, please contact the researcher. Other questions, please send e-mail to Lori at LKRBL@pitt.edu
Register to qualify for experiments
(Please register using a valid local university email address, otherwise your account will not be approved. Thank you.)
Login to sign up for experiments